and Safety -
In an emergency, you or a family member may become lost and
they then become the searchee. Others near you become
the searchers. Each has a role to
play and you should teach your family before hand some of the
ideas shown below:
The searchee needs to:
- Have a signaling device such as a whistle or a
- Stay near the largest road, trail or body of water
- Never leave a car. It is easier to spot a car from the
air than it is to spot a person.
- Remain calm.
- Keep as dry and warm as possible.
- Drink water.
The searchers need to:
- Get organized
- Agree on territory to be searched
- Notify authorities
- Establish communication means
- Carry water and food for themselves as well as for the
- Be properly dressed
- Have signalling devices
- Look at a photo of the searchee
- Use equipment and animals wisely
- Trade off shifts with others
- Talk to those who had last seen the
- Have a first aid kit
- Have knowledge of CPR