Do It Yourself
Make a Carpet Tube Can Stacker
This is a clever storage device that uses cardboard tubes
that carpet comes on to be placed in the corners of your
closets to store canned goods. These tubes are usually free
from your local carpet store and all you need is some minor
tools and minimum labor.
Follow these steps:
- Obtain one or more carpet tubes from your local carpet
store. Hopefully these are free. Don't forget to check at
the big lumber stores as well. Take a sample can with you
to make sure it will fit in the tube and slide smoothly
without getting stuck. If you have different size cans,
take them all. It is very important to get the correct size
- Using a saw, cut the tube to be 10" shorter than the
height of your closet. These will be stored in the back of
the closet so make sure you have clearance of 10" below the
closet shelf (or ceiling, if there is no shelf). Make sure
both ends are cut squarely. Remove any burrs.
- On one end of the tube, measure the circumference
(distance around) of the tube.
- Divide the circumference by three. This will be the
part of the circumference that will remain. The other two
thirds of the tube will be cut off.
- Put marks where you want to cut and extend them up the
tube for the height of a can of food, plus
1/2" for clearance.
- Cut the two thirds of the tube that you have marked and
- You may want to drill a hole every 12" up the tube so
you can tell how many cans are stored in the tube. When you
mark for these holes, be sure to mark them on the side of
the tube that will be the front once it is installed.
This means to lay it down with the non-cutout base part on
- Clean the inside of the tube so no burrs remain.
- Stand the tube in the back of the closet and stock cans
from the top. They should all fall into a nice stack that
will provide the oldest cans at the bottom and the newest
ones at the top. Be sure to secure it to the wall with
something like a bungee cord. This tube will be heavy once
it is filled with cans and you don't want it to fall on
- You can put one tube in each corner and they should not
ever be in the way of your clothes hanging in the closet.
If you think that you have room, you can put them all
across the back of the closet right next to each
- Remove a can from the bottom by pulling it out,
allowing the next can to fall to replace it as the bottom
- If you want to know what is in each tube, you can write
right on the tube or put a label on the tube.
- If you are concerned that the color of the cardboard
does not match the decor of the back of your closet, you
can always paint, tile or wallpaper the
- These make wonderful gifts for those who have limited
space in which to store canned goods and you can't beat the